Monday, October 29, 2012

Recoleta Cemetery

Somehow it does seem the right season to be strolling through a cemetery.  The Recoleta cemetery in Buenos Aires is huge and full of Mausoleums.
At the top of the gate to enter the cemetery it says "Rest in Peace" in Latin.  There are tours.  We came with our own guide, Natalia:
She's the pretty lady in the sunglasses.  She is a certified tour guide and speaks Spanish, English and Portuguese.  She is very knowledgable about the history of Buenos Aires and all the districts and landmarks.


Sorry about the first picture, it's sideways, even though I rotated it before I saved it.  There are several plaques to Evita, each sponsored by aq different group.  I won't take the time to go into Eva Duarte Peron's story, but if you like a good read or a good movie (the on with Madonna is all sung, but it has beautiful music and Antonio Banderas in it so I liked it!) go read or see it!  It is an interesting story with some rather odd twists and turns in it.

Ok, so this one is sideways too.  Honestly I did rotate them.  You can see some of the beautiful stained glass that is in some of the mausoleums. In this one you get the added joy of seeing my reflection as I took the picture!

This is a statue of a lady that died right after she married when the hotel she and her husband was in collapsed.  Her father had the statue of her and her dog commissioned.  It is said that if you rub the dogs nose it gives you luck!  It keeps his nose very shiny!
This bas relief of Christ with the children caught my eye.
These angels were also really pretty.  I also liked the marble statue of angels below:
This shows you some of the variety of mausoleums.
Some were very fancy and some were very simple
I'm going to end this with my favorite sculpture. The sleeping woman and child.  It was inside one of the Mausoleums.

Unlike the mausoleums in many museums, these have several stories.  The one above ground and one or two more underground.  Many members of a family are buried in each.  Sometimes you can see the coffins, or vaults.

No comments:

Post a Comment