Monday, September 16, 2013

Training Employment Specialists in Adrogue, Argentina

August 31, 2013 Karen Casós, my companion, and I got to take a remise(sort of like a cross between a limo and a taxi, could be a van or just a car.  There is a driver who comes to pick you up and deliver you to an address.)  We use Roman Viajes, the company that does a lot of transporting of people for the area office.  The drivers are always very courteous and take us around the greater Buenos Aires area.  Saves us from having to drive in a city that, like many other large cities, has horrible traffic and crazy drivers.  I always prefer to use public transportation rather than drive when I am outside of the US or in a large city that I don´t know.

Anyway, We went to Adrogue, a barrio (suburb) of Greater Buenos Aires to train some of the stake employment specialists.


Welcome
Meeting days
Sunday beginning at 09:00
in the Morning

Adrogue is a Big Chapel
 We had a great time with the training.  Nestor Underwood is the Director of the Employment Center there.  Our Center in Buenos Aires is half of an entire floor including a classroom and five offices, plus a main salon area with six computers for the people who come to look for work.  In Adrogue, as in many outlying chapels there is one room.

We were excited to have Nestor (the tall guy in the back row) and 7 employment specialists.  Some were ward specialists and some were stake specialists

 If I had really thought about this I would have had Nestor take a picture of the two of us with the group and then we could have taken a picture of him with the group.  But I just snapped a picture with Karen and then had her take one with me and the group.

We taught them how to set up an account on www.ldsjobs.org and how to navigate in the website to put information in or do a search.

We also did what I call a Mini-Workshop.  Basically it is a four or five page worksheet that summarizes the most important of the activities done in the Career Workshop.  It was designed by Curtis Wilson, a missionary in Independence, Missouri, who taught th Career Workshop I took just before I left on my mission.

We had a great day.  Our training took a couple of hours.  We took longer than that to get to and get home from Adrogue.  And...we got to see a bit more of the city.

I´m really happy about the closing of the CRE in Buenos Aires next week.  First, because they are going to repair the floor that was damaged when workmen on the floor above us cut a waterpipe late one afternoon and it leaked all night onto the floor on our level.  Over the next few weeks as the wooden floor dried it began to buckle in the middle.

It is really difficult to teach a class when half the floor is wavy.  My balance is bad enough all on its own!

Second reason that I'm glad we are closing is that Karen and I get to go across Buenos Aires and south down the coast to  Mar de Plata and Bahia Blanca.  Then we will go west towards the Andes across Patagonia to Neuquén.  We will be on the road from Monday to Friday mid-day.  I will be snapping pictures like crazy!


No comments:

Post a Comment