This shrug is super simple. I was using a sports weight Merino blend and size 8 US circular needle (29in). I started with 3 stitches cast on and every row I would increase one in the second stitch in and knit across. When I got so one side of the triangle was 42inches I changed to one decrease by knitting the second and third stitches together and knitting across until I got to three stitches and then cast off. Fold the square in half and stitch up the sides leaving an opening of 6-8 inches away from the fold. You can just wear it that way, but I crocheted around the armholes in a chain 5 single crochet, repeat and in the next row do the single crochet in the middle of the previous chain. I did the same around the neck, down the side, the back and up the other side, round and round. The crocheted lacy part on the arms and around the outer edges should measure 6-8 inches. That's it!
This is just a giant granny square. Crochet a chain of 8 and attach to make a loop. Crochet shells of 3 double crochets into the loop, chain 3, 3 double crochets, until you have four shells and have attached. In each of the next rows create a shell in each space between the shells in the previous rows. At the corners put a shell, chain 3 and a second shell in the corner space. It is the variegated yarn that makes it so pretty.
I made two sets of scarf, hat and arm warmers. (black gloves are just for contrast, they were purchased) This pattern was a k2p2 ribbed pattern. I folded up the ends of the scarf to make pockets at the end. It gives extra warmth if you put your hands in the pockets when it is really cold.
The hat is double thick. I started with 6 stitches divided between 3double ended needles. Size 8 US (knitting onto 4th). Attached together and did an increase at the beginning and end of each needle until I had a total of 68 stitches.Changed over to a circular needle size 8 Us 29 inches. I continued at 68 stitches in the ribbed pattern until I had a very long hat. The idea was for it to be long enough to pull the loose end up to the point of fewer stitches and have it be the right size. I then decreased two stitches every 1/3 of the stitches until I got back to 3 stitches, knit them together and tied off. Now I had a long sausage shape. I pushed one end into the other end and voila...A double thick hat!.
The arm warmers are made on size 8US also. Cast on 36 stitches. Knit in k2p2 ribbing until you are ready to have a thumb. Put a marker on each and increase by one stitch at the marker until you have 46 stitches. Continue straight for 10 rows. Next row cast off from five stitches before the marker to five stitches after the marker, continue ribbed pattern. Next row, knit across from stitch before first cast off st. to st just after last cast off, knit rib pattern around 36 stitches for one more inch. Cast off.
The beige set is done in a similar fashion, but with a faux cable stitch. Basically the pattern for that is the same ribbed pattern. Every fourth row (you can space upto 6 rows if you like it better) knit the two knit stitches by knitting the first stitch and do NOT pull it off the left needle, knit the second stitch and then pull both off. Creating a one stitch cross over. On the scarf I created a reversable by doing a cross-over pattern on one side and then doing a cross over pattern on the next row(opposite side)
This scarf was crocheted. I used a silk yarn. It is done with a shell pattern, starting on the long side and decreasing one shell on each row. Then there is a lace pattern like on the shrug
| Posted this in a larger size, hoping that you could see the pattern. I may have to play with it on picture maker and see if I can lighten it so you can see it better. |
So cute mom. I especially love the shrug and the cream set of warmers and scarf. Can't wait to put orders in when you get back.
ReplyDelete