Pablo Nuñez is one of the volunteers at the CRE (Employment Resource Center) It was his birthday last week so after a bit of encouragement from him, I baked a Cowboy Cake. I was a little fearful as the first time using what is called "Black Sugar" in Argentina and the local sour cream which is way thicker that the sour cream I use at home I also cannot find allspice. This time I used "Blond Sugar". The color is lighter like the brown sugar at home and the flavor is less Sorghum-like. I also soured a cup of milk with a tablespoon of vinegar instead of the sour cream. It worked! Mama Johnson (my great grandma, it's her recipe) would be proud!
 |
| Pablo cutting the cake. |
I baked the cake in bread pans to make it easier to transport on the subway. It did take longer to bake, but then I never know with our oven in the apartment. It's always a guessing game.
 |
| We're ready to eat! |
 |
| Pablo Nuñez, Karen Casós, Alexis Mayo, Irene Fernandez, Pedro LaPlaca |
It tasted good to me. And I'm guessing to the others too as the first cake disappeared in record time. The second cake was halfway gone by the end of the day.
Irene and Pablo are also volunteers at the CRE. Pablo is a teacher of the workshops like I am and can handle about any part of the CRE work. He is really good in working with the people that come in and instilling confidence in them. He seems to always know which questions to ask to guide people into creating their own CV's and looking for work that is appropriate for their skills.
Irene works a lot with Karen. She is good on the phone and always friendly. You just feel so welcomed when she is at reception.
Pablo is my right hand in setting up the workshops. He is the muscle that saves my back! I have to have one configuration for the Career Workshop and a completely different set up for the English classes. It requires moving a lot of tables and chairs.
Happy Birthday, Pablo! Hope you enjoyed your cake!
No comments:
Post a Comment