Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Museo de La Plata





So June 20, 2013, after seeing the Cathedral,  we went to the Natural History Museum of La Plata.  It had a lot of really interesting things, but boy was it cold!  I had left my scarf in the car and put my gloves back on and buttoned up my coat.  This place is full of Skylights, but not a lot of heat!  They did have a nice little tearoom where I got a slice of Ham and Cheese Torta (kind of like a double crust pizza but no tomato sauce.  If you go it is back by the giant armadillos!

Here I am with my pet Sabertooth!

The architecture of this place was beautiful.  There were great skylights.
I should have taken notes.  I think this was a Brontosaurus.  It was REALLY  long!
Looking up through the vertebrae of the Brontosaurus to the skylight.
And a couple more shots of this guy, one from above and one from the side.  He was really  my favorite, can you tell?


Those teeth looked really sharp.  This looked like a T-Rex,  but maybe just a baby.  



This was looking down onto the Blue Whale head
Got the Green Turtle bones just for Heather, my granddaughter!  She loves Turtles!
They had big bones...Mastadon!

And little bones...Capuchin monkey
Yeah, the bones started to get to me.  Kind of creepy.
Decided I needed to check out other parts of the museum away from the bones!!!!!!


They had some great birds.  This one from Patagonia

This one from The Misionera Jungle
This one from the Chaqueña Woods

They had displays from all over Latin America!
Poncho made with feathers

The posters were from records kept by a Spanish Priest in the 1600's



This was a replica of a Mayan carving and glyfs
Replica of a Chieftan's robes


Then I was museumed out!  Grabbed a bite of  Torta de Jamon y Queso, and headed out front to wait for everybody else.  Ya know, it was warmer outside than it was inside!

All in all, a great field trip!  



























No comments:

Post a Comment