Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bathrooms... might be TMI, but necessary....

I know that talking about bathrooms seems like an odd thing to do, but things down here, or just outside the states are DIFFERENT.  And let's face it, pretty much everybody ends up in the bathroom several times a day.

These are not in order of importance, but just the way the pictures came up when I posted them in the blog:

Plugs and switches.  The frame around the outlets is plastic and just sort of pushed on.  They have a habit of falling off as the way they attach to the wall is all plastic too and breaks.  Also notice that the outlet is different.  You HAVE to have an adapter.  Luckily you can purchase surge suppressors that have the adapters built in.  But if you travel you should get an adapter, thus saving you from having something explode or not ever work again, or both.  

 So far all the private bathrooms I've seen include a bidet, shown below on the left.  Since it is the thing people ask about I will explain.  After extensive research on the internet, and watching many reruns of "Crocodile Dundee" I know that this is for "cleaning your backside"(say that with an Australian accent for proper effect.)  I knew that before I came, but never could figure out how you were to use it.  Finally found a website that actually explained:
 Steps to using a bidet:
1. Use the toilet first.  Purpose of a bidet is to clean off after toilet use. May be used after toilet paper or in lieu of toilet paper.
2.  Straddle the bidet.  Easier if you face the controls.  That way you can control the flow and temperature of the water. If you are wearing pants you will need to remove them to do this.
3. Adjust the temperature and jet flow.  Start before you do anything and end by turning the flow down or you will have a fountain that splatters all over the place.  Also don't forget to test the temperature or you could burn your, uh, sensitive areas!
4. Position your self as you hover over or sit . Bidet's don't have seats like a toilet, but are meant to be sat upon.
5. Clean as you would in a shower.  Rinse and turn off the water jet.
6. Dry your skin.
7. Rinse out the bidet, by running the jet at low pressure to rinse the basin.
8. Wash your hands with soap and water.
Note> If you sit on the toilet you can also wash your feet in the bidet.  Not bad to clean off a baby's behind if they have a really messy diaper.  Again, just be really careful with the temperature and amount of the jet.

Now you can't say that you don't know how to use a bidet!  I want my blog to be educational and informative!!!

 I have found a lot of bathrooms that have no shower curtain, or shower door.  There will be, however a drain in the bathroom floor.  This was our shower in the hotel. If you look carefully you will see that it only had half a glass door.  Before you think that I'm a contortionist and could get into the tub around the door, you should know that the door swung in and out to allow you to get in and out.  In our apartment we have a standard shower curtain.
 
This toilet roll had very nice toilet paper and a metal cover to tear it against.  Not what I found in most places.  This was in the hotel.


Toilet paper in public (or at church in this case) runs from el cheapo (no that is not a Spanish word) thin, made like tissue paper and not at all comfortable to this stuff, which is really the same thing they use in the hand towel dispenser.  It is heavy for toilet paper and really flimsy for hand towel paper.  The sign above in the one above says:" Please, throw in the trash 
  • Sanitary Napkins
  • Band-aids
  • Tampons 
  • Diapers"


 This sign, also found in one of the bathrooms of a church says, "Madam, Miss, or girl, respect this place.  Keep it clean and after using it return it to the conditions that you would like to find it in.  THANK YOU"

When I was in Mexico, it was not uncommon to find a sign asking you to put the wet paper in the basket next to the toilet and only flush the dirty paper.  The plumbing is so bad in some areas that they need you to help by not putting any unnecessary paper through the system.

And finally, the plumber's friend.  Down here it is called a Sopapa with an accent on the last letter. 
When the one at the Employment Center fell apart I went looking for a new one.  I was looking for this one above, similar to the one I had seen at work. What I found was the hand plunger, seen below:
I can see using this for a sink, but not a toilet, especially one that might have nasty stuff in it!

Well, that is probably a whole lot more than you ever wanted to know about bathrooms, but at least you know!  Oh, and I eventually found the plunger that has the wooden handle, but not a handle.  Good thing we didn't throw out the one at work!



2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I'd like the bidet. I'd have to try it at least for the experience. The feet washing sounds like a good idea. Bathrooms are sure different all over the world. I had a very embarrassing moment when I had to ask my first companion how to flush--especially since I didn't have the vocabulary to do so. I took her in with me to explain with my hands. She rolled her eyes and thru a bucket of water down the bowl. "Oh! That's what that bucket was for." I later learned that the bucket of water was also my shower--and we refilled it at the water line out in the street...where people bathed in public!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very informative as always mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete