Monday, November 12, 2012

Lots of pictures from the Yarn District, Buenos Aires

 Last time I went to the Yarn District I was in a rush and didn't get many pictures because I only had an hour to shop before the stores close.  They are only open from 10am to 1pm on Saturdays, so there isn't much time.  This time I took lots of pictures. The Yarn District is on Scalabrini Ortiz near Cordoba, in the Palermo district of Buenos Aires.  We take bus 15, a green one to get there. It's a couple of blocks of yarn shop after yarn shop.  Tiendas de hilo or Tiendas de hilados
This is from the first time I went and saw that someone had yarn bombed some of the poles in the area.
This is Arte Natural.  They have great shawl pins and other items plus unique yarns.
This time when we got to Arte Natural they were closed for lunch.  Lunchtime is sort of a floating thing, so there was no telling if they were going to be back anytime soon.  We had the day off on a Monday because we had gone to a suburb to teach a class on Saturday.  That way we had more time, but we didn't get inside Arte Natural.  They were closed as we went by the first time and closed again as we came back.

These are the variety of Shawl pins.  These were at another store where I found silk yarn.
Hilados and Hilo are two words used for yarn.  The graffiti is everywhere.

The displays in the window are lots of fun and give you great ideas for knitting and felting

Milana has become my favorite shop for quality yarn.  Nice people inside too.


In Milana as in many other shops you buy yarn by the kilo.  These scales are there to have the yarn weighed and then you pay at the register.
Some of the selection at Milana
Looking towards the front of the store at Milana



Nube is a brand and a store.  I like the variety.  Many of the clerks here are male.  That seemed different!
I do like the way the pricing is done at Nube.  That's just under 20 pesos, about 5 dollars.  In nube some is charged by the ovillo, or skein, some by the kilo.
This is the checkout.  The items on the left side are ties, some with pom pons, some with balls of fluff, some with feathers.

At nube you take your yarn to be weighed and they pass it to the cashier.  If there is a crowd you really have to pay attention as they only call out the amount you pay.  Always check to see if you got the yarn you picked out and not somebody elses'!


This is another one of the shops in the district

I loved this display of yarn.  It looked like a birthday cake


More shops and more shops


More yarn and more yarn

These are some of the yarns I bought and my shawl pin, plus some of the bags.  I also got some tweed navy and forest green from Milano.  It's merino.  The pink is cotton and silk, not bad for 26 pesos ($6-7) The purple is a varied thickness yarn.  It looks nice, but is hard to work with.  The white was acrylic baby yarn I got.  We're making new born caps for a hospital in a poor section of town.  Caps and blankets for the newborns so they have something to wear to go home.


You can be guaranteed I'll be going back.  Next time I'll show you what I made...

1 comment:

  1. Just caught a chance to look this over and I love it--so many neat looking shops full of yarn! I wish I could go with you next time!

    ReplyDelete