Saturday, February 1, 2014

Inside the Casa Rosada

I'm behind again on posting things.  A few weeks ago during our Christmas Vacation, Karen and I went to the Casa Rosada for their Saturday tours.  They have them in English and Spanish. Part of the building is very traditional and part is very modern.
The security system. Like the airport their is a door to go through and an X-ray for your purse.
As we entered their was a family getting their picture with a guard in a traditional uniform and I snapped a quick photo of them.
Looking from the second floor down to the entry area of the  Casa Rosada where I took the photo above.

Isn't it crazy, but I am facinated by staircases, especially marble ones.  I can imagine Evita walking down these stairs. In the Louvre in Paris I imagined  the queens, Catherine, Therese and Marie-Antoinette walking down the worn stairs in their wide, long gowns and high powdered wigs.
Our guide.  His English was....interesting.
"The myth is the ultimate truth of the story, the rest is ephemeral journalism" Jorge Luis Borges. 

A table of painted cameos

The Epic Saga of Martín Fierro is a classic in Argentina.  It is the tale of a Gaucho, comparable to El Cid, The Song of Roland, or Ulysses.  This is the story of the painting of the mural belong, dedicated to the subject of the great gaucho.



An impressive piece,  it reminds me of Picasso's Guernica in someways and of some of José Clemente Orosco's murals in others. Either way it has a lot of power in it.


Video being made in the courtyard below


One of many courtyards inside the Casa Rosada

Another beautiful courtyard.


The seal of Buenos Aires Province

The balcony on the front of the Casa Rosada facing the Plaza de Mayo.

A guard on the balcony where the President addresses the public.  This would have been where Evita and Juan Perón waved to the crowds on the Plaza de Mayo.
The view from the balcony on the front of the Casa Rosada. Each of the disks on the fence is the seal of a different province of Argentina.
The Hall of Argentine Idols was interesting.  Lots of people I didn't know, but a few I did.  Jorge Luis Borges , the writer,  Mafalda by Quino, a cartoonist, and some of the footballers, like Messi.

Mafalda



I had to study up a bit on Argentina when "Evita" was produced on stage in Kansas City.  I took my classes to see it. We had a unit on Argentina and then went to see it.  Glad now that I knew a bit before I got here.




Mirrors are great when I want to prove to my kids that I was actually there! I also like the effect when there are mirrors on opposite walls and the size of the crowd goes on forever!


 The Room of Argentine Women was full of images of the famous women from this country.


Another room was dedicated to the scientific minds from Argentina.


Literary Genius was also recognized.

The Salon Blanco was absolutely beautiful and a place to stop and sit down for a moment.  My feet were very grateful!

Beautiful ceilings with frescos.

Balconies and Chandeliers.

Finally got a clear shot without people in it.  What a fabulous room to address a group!







All too soon the tour was over and we exited through the side entrance, shown here with the Plaza de Mayo on the far right.










No comments:

Post a Comment