Thursday, February 14, 2013

Visit to an Artist's Studio - Jorge Cocco Santangelo




Field Trip!  I love field trips!




We were very lucky this week.  Elder Paul Garvin and Ellen Garvin, who do Visitor Center presentations in the various meetinghouses here in Argentina set up a time for us to go and meet the Argentine Artist, Jorge Cocco Santángelo.

When they were doing a presentation in one of the meeting houses brother Cocco came up and asked if he could display some of his Book of Mormon art at the next presentation.  Elder Garvin suggested that he would like to preview the art.  He was, and I quote, "blown away by what I saw."  
Cocco at his lithograph press, Barb Zobell and Sister Ashton (not Robin) listening
He explained so many things about his art, how he saw the faces, where he learned about the  historical data. Here he is talking with Evelyn and Stuart Candland and Janice Switzer

We went to the artist´s studio where he had set up a showing, just for us!  "Blown Away" is not an understatement.  This man´s talent and intellect are amazing. 
There's Diane Brunt, the only one looking my way.  She asked if I got her  making a face.  Nope!

 Cocco lived in Mexico for 8 years , teaching art at a university there.  He spent his time studying and visiting museums.  He has an excellent knowledge of the architecture, clothing and jewelry worn by the native americans of ancient times in Mexico. 


 I was immediately taken by the bone structure of the people in his art.  I have seen so many pictures depicting Book of Mormon times and the people in the art look like Europeans   The people in Cocco´s paintings look like different native american cultures, their faces, clothes and jewelry.

You can see some of his works in the background of this picture.  That is Cocco to the left of Stuart Candland.


I know you will all want to see his art.  I felt that it would be unethical to reproduce it on this blog.  It is HIS and he has a right to protect it.  So I will only show what you can see from a distance.  If you want to see his work go to his facebook page.  He has many of his works displayed there. Here's the link:

He had some ceramics on the table here with Egyptian hieroglyphs and a picture of Quetzalcoatl, the white bearded god of the Aztecs and some other items.  There is a hood over a BBQ behind some of the frames between Evelyn and Stuart Candland.  They can cook outside, but be under the roof.  Ask Elder Raymond what this kind of an outdoor cookhouse is called.  I can't remember what he called it!
We moved out to the entry to the studio where they set up some fans.  It was really hot on Tuesday!  Cocco told us the story of their conversion in 1962. His son interpreted for him.  He had been searching for a Bible.  It was hard to find one.  Then two missionaries showed up at his door.  They didn't speak much Spanish and he didn't speak English. They managed anyway.  His first question, "Why is there no prophet on the earth today?".  Their answer, "We have one!"


Jorge, his wife and one of his sons
When Jorge was a bishop the church paid for him to go to Salt Lake City to conference.  He wanted to take his wife so they could be sealed in the Temple.  They had to get a loan to pay for her ticket.  They couldn't afford to take their children with them to have them sealed too.  They went through the Salt Lake Temple with the help of friends who interpreted the sessions for them.



They later went to Arizona where they could attend temple sessions in Spanish.
When they lived in Europe they were able to go to the Swiss temple and have the whole family sealed together.

Elder Ashton (not Bill) and some of Jorge's modern art.
I so enjoyed this trip.  I purchased one of his lithographs and a book about the Jaredites which he illustrated and another comparing the Olmec culture(in Mexico) with the Jaredites.  The Spanish teacher in me just had to have them! And I do have one of Jorge's works that I will share because I bought it.

This is the Mother of Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec God. He told us her name, but I can't remember, so I looked it up and found two names.  Either Chimalma (also written Chimalman) or Coatlicue.  Either way she was a virgin.  Jorge told us that the Supreme God sent a feather (symbol of the Holy Spirit) down to her and she swallowed it.  From this she became pregnant and gave birth to Quetzalcoatl.  He is shown as Aztec god having white skin and a beard.  The story says that he will return to redeem his people. You can see the immediate parallels to Christ.

 Quetzalcoatl is known as the plumed serpent.  The Quetzal bird in Mexico and Guatemala is a beautifully plumed bird in iridescent greens and reds.  These feathers were on the headdresses of the leaders and symbolize their position of leadership.

Now all I need is a frame!

When we got to work on Wednesday I was telling Claudio Ciocia, my boss said he was pretty sure that Jorge gave him a name and a blessing when he was a baby as his own father wasn't a member.  Jorge was his bishop.  I remember Jorge saying he had been bishop of the Belgrano ward at one time.

Here's a few pictures more...

One of the workspaces and the backyard between the back of the house and his studio
Great thanks to the Garvins for this wonderful field trip!  And thanks to the Cocco family for their hospitality and patience with all of us!

The next three pictures are of the modern wood art Jorge won a prestigious prize for.



No comments:

Post a Comment